Friday, August 22, 2008

Why I am Mormon Part II

So to continue the story of how I left agnosticism to find eternal truth. It all began with my sophomore year of college. I was looking forward to another wonderful year full of argumentation and debate and destroying peoples idiotic beliefs in outdated mythology of religion. I arrived at my dorm room and found that I really would enjoy my new room mates. Two were less active Mormons who didn't embrace what they had been taught and were somewhat cynical toward religion. The other was a born again Christian who was understanding of who I was. So after I had put up posters in my room that depicted pictures of gorgeous women ranging from the artful to the obscene. I then left my room to help figure out what we were going to do with the living room common area. I got the permission of the guys to put up a couple posters in the common area this was due to me providing the TV and PlayStation. We also started to set up our surround system when we heard a knock at the door. We were all sitting on the floor duct taping wires to the floor when we again heard the knocking and looked up and saw one of those beautiful creatures that God created that we call women. She was standing there and simply asked, "Do any of you boys know anything about electronics?" (I know nothing about electronics) I quickly stood up pushing one of my new roommates to the ground, and replied that I did and would be able to help her with whatever she needed. I was thinking to myself, "Yes, my first night at college this year and I am already going to get laid." As we walked down to her room I started to apply all the things that normally led to a rather fun and exhausting night. When we arrived at her dorm room which was one floor down from mine. I was already excited by what I thought was going to happen. As we walked into to her room I saw her other five roommates huddled around a small TV that was hooked up to an old Nintendo. They told me as I came in that it just wouldn't work. I replied that it was an easy fix and it should be working in no time. I made sure the power cord was plugged in and the connections were correct at the back of the TV. After I made sure these things were okay I then moved onto the console. Having grown up with video games I knew it should be pretty easy now. I took the cartridge out and blew on it three or four times and put it back in. I then hit the power button and watched the screen flicker with the game kinda working. The girls in the room squealed and told me that was more than they had got. I then replied it should be better than that. I hit the console on its side a few times hit the reset butting about thirty times and then hit the power button and what do ya know it started to work. At this point two of the girls started to play Super Mario Brothers. The other girls were casually flirting with me and I figured I had found myself a wonderful little gold mine. As the conversation started to become a little more in depth I found them asking me if I had served a mission(I always tried to dress nice and keep my hair short and face clean shaved). I replied I had and just gotten back a few months ago. I don't even remember where I told them I had served but I often told girls I was a returned missionary to get me where I needed to be. I even had a tag I had stole from a RM I knew. The gorgeous girl who first came up to my room asked if I would be interested in a game that night. I replied I would and she told me to come back at 7:00 that night. So I returned upstairs at this point and returned to my room and finished unpacking looking forward to a fun night and better school year. As seven o'clock arrived I got ready and went back downstairs. All Six girls were in the living room and were chatting about whatever it is that girls chat about. They asked me what kind of game I wanted to play... well... I could give them my real answer because by this time I realized that they wouldn't be up for a rousing game of strip poker or twister. I asked them how they felt about monopoly. They said sure why not. Now one of the things about my family concerning games is that we played cutthroat and cut each other no brakes. My mother always said, "Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser." No matter what the game was my family and I would play a game like we meant to win it. There was no cutting someone some slack. So I approached this game the same way. I had no intention of losing it to simply to get in her pants. As the game continued through the night one by one I eliminated each of Sheena's (that's the gorgeous girl) roommates. I used trades where I took advantage of their charitable nature or I simply refused to make deals with them and crushed them under rents they couldn't pay. As the game started to come to an end it was only Sheena I left. The other girl were still around the board and talking and the subject turned to the Book Of Mormon and who there favorite character/ hero was in it. It might have been the game or me simply in the ruthless mode I was in but when I was asked I started along the typical, "I can't believe smart women like yourselves would follow some old book like blind sheep." Well this certainly got their attention and they asked if I was active in the church. Well there was no going back now my cover was gone and the recognized that I was no simple sheep but perhaps a wolf who sneaked into the fold. I told them I didn't go to church, that believing in God was no better than believing in Bigfoot, Nessie, Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. It was simply something they had been brainwashed to believe in and were caught up in a web of lies. They assured me that it was true and tried to tell me about the heart burn in the bosom that they got from some holy ghost. I mocked them and belittled them till two of them left the room in tears because of what I said. When Sheena asked me about Christ I called him the greatest con artist of all time and then asked if she believed in human sacrifice. She said that of course she didn't, I then pointed out to her how Christianity was a the ultimate religion of human sacrifice and that she was no better than the savages who ripped the beating hearts out of their victims and kicked their lifeless bodies down some of the Central American pyramids. She then in a fit of righteous rage and indignation threw the monopoly dice to the floor and told me to get out and never come back. I promptly did so and left her room to retire to the welcome darkness that was my room. That night as I lay down to bed sleep would not come to me. I tossed and turned and thought about the events of that day and how Sheena could have defended her beliefs despite overwhelming logic and reason that she was wrong. After two or three hours of tossing and turning I decided that this girl had gotten to me. I then vowed to myself, the only person I believed in, that I would show her just how wrong she was and I would destroy her beliefs and bring her to the truth of what this life all about. So I drifted off to sleep with visions of mayhem and destruction floating through my head.

3 comments:

pamperedprineds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage said...

What school were you at? It must have been in Utah.

LUCKY said...

I was at the college of Eastern Utah