Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why I am Mormon Part VIII

So as Sister Glancy looked into my eyes I felt a tingle of terror sweep through my body as I thought of what it would be to lose this pearl of great price that I had found.

The sisters asked me what I thought about conference and I told them I had figured some things out and got my questions answered.

Sister Glancy said. "JD, we have something we need to talk about and it really important." Well being the guy I am I decided to go on the attack with a question of my own. "Sister Glancy," I asked, " Can I ask you something first?" She said I could. I then asked the sixty four million dollar question, "Can I get baptized? I know I don't know very much but I really want to."

Wow talk about that look totally disappearing from the sisters faces. It looked like them were almost going to hug me as they both just started smiling and told me, "Of course you can get baptized JD." I then asked still on the offensive, "How about this coming Saturday?"..... it was Sunday if you remember.

The sister said we still had some things to go over but that if I really wanted to get baptized on Sunday I could. Well guess what that week I learned about the law of chastity and the law of tithing and a few other things I needed to know about before I made a covenant with God.

Well Friday afternoon showed up and the sisters turned me over to some Elder who had to interview me. Boy am I glad that I had such smart sister the few questions I had this elder couldn't answer. At one point he even broke off our interview to call the mission president and ask him a question. This elder who I don't remember because he was rather unimpressive didn't know what to do when I told him I was pro choice and supported a woman's choice pertaining to if she would have an abortion or not. Well I got to talk to the mission president who's name I don't remember either but wow could he use the spirit like a righteous club over the phone. He asked me if I believed it was okay for a women to have an abortion. I replied, "Yes." He then told me this, Well, until you change your mind you can't get baptized." I then quickly replied, "Well sir if that is going to be the way it is, then I no longer believe abortions are correct and I want to be baptized." He then told me to give the phone back to the elder. I did and guess what... I passed the rest of the interview.

Well that night came and I decided to be a brat. I called them that night and aSister Glancy answered the phone I told Sister Glancy who I was and she asked if everything was okay. I told her kind of but I needed to know something. In a rather concerned tone Sister Glancy asked what was up. "Well I was thinking about Jesus," I said, "And Jesus was baptized in a river and since I am being baptized not only to be washed of my sins but to follow Jesus I want to be baptized in a river to." (Well if you know anything about Eastern Utah you realize that the only river around Price is the Price river and that is not exactly a river that it would be easy to be baptized in. ) Sister Glancy told me that the church wanted people to be baptized in fonts in stake centers and wards. I told Sister Glancy that I wouldn't be baptized unless it could be in a river and told her not to call me until she found a river for me. Well about and hour and half later I called the Sisters again. This time Sister Niu answered and all I said was, "Sister Niu, this is JD, I was just joking about the river thing I can't wait to get baptized tomorrow at ten." I then hung up my phone and unplugged it from the wall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... oh JD, that was devilish of you. So question-what were the sisters going to ask you when they first came over?

-CR