Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Why I am Mormon Part VII

So as everyone stood up I stayed seating thinking to myself why are all these people standing up. Amber who happened to be one of the women I went to conference with grabbed me by the arm and told me that we stood up when the prophet entered the room. Well, now I could finally see who this guy was. Did I mention that my seat in the conference center was far up in the nose bleed section where everyone on the stand appeared to be as small as ants. However the two screens to either side of the stage showed a picture of this wonderful little old man who was walking across the stage. He had a cane but he wasn't using it. He was carrying it and as he walked be these stern looking young men who could only be body guards of some type he hit a few of them in the leg. I thought to myself as I watched him, "Wow, I really might like this little guy."

However just because he was cool didn't make him a prophet by any means. Now if you remember my reason for going to conference was to see for myself who this Gordon Hinkley guy was and if the church that was restored by Joseph Smith was still true or if it had faded into apostasy. Well there was an opening prayer that seemed like it lasted forever and was almost a talk in and of itself. There were a few hymns sung and finally someone got up and started to speak. Now a few people spoke but none of there talks were amazing or had within them the answer I sought. This was true until this German guy with a heavy accent got up and started to speak. His name was Elder Uctdorf, he was from the quorum of the seventy(I had no idea what that was at the time) and this German guy started to speak about the restoration of the gospel in Joseph Smith's time. He then started to speak on how the church was true today just as it was when it was restored by Joseph Smith and as when Jesus set it up. Talk about my jaw hitting the floor. I just sat there in disbelief as my prayer seemed to be directly answered.

Well I still wasn't one hundred percent convinced with regards to the Hinkley guy just yet. however my time was shortly drawing closed. As the hour passed and it was time for the last speaker to get up and talk I noticed it was that cool old guy from before who was supposed to be the prophet of the Lord. Well he got up to the pulpit and started to speak. A feeling of calmness washed over me as he spoke. He talked of his travels throughout the world and how he visited the children of God in those countries. As he spoke that same voice that spoke to me before spoke again. At first I didn't understand what it said and looked to see if Amber was whispering something in my ear. However she wasn't and then I heard and understood the voice. I heard just as clearly as you are reading this a voice that said to me, "That cute, little old man is a prophet of the Lord God, and he doesn't have time right now for your stupid questions."

Well I had all of my questions answered and I just sat there in awe of being privileged to hear a prophet, a real, living prophet give me advice. Well now I had no more questions. As we drove back to Price from Salt Lake City I contemplated upon what I had learned in the last few days and weeks. I had found out for myself that God truly lives and that he sent his only begotten son to earth to suffer and bleed and die for my sins. That God's church was upon the face of the earth and it was led by a living prophet of God. That the bible and Book of Mormon contained God's plan for me and eternal truths within their pages. As we traveled down the road a scripture kept coming into my mind concerning baptism. Now I had never been baptized before much to the sadness of my Mother and Grandmother. This scripture stated very simply that if the lamb of God being holy have need to be baptized by water to fulfil all righteousness how much more need have I being unholy have need to be baptized by water.

Now by this time I knew that I had done some rather unseemly things and might be considered somewhat unholy if not in cahoots with the Anti Christ. I thought about baptism and the more I thought about it the more I wanted to do it. I mean why wouldn't someone who believed in Christ choose to follow in his footsteps.

Well we got home and on Sunday between conferences I had a meeting with the Sisters. When I let them in I knew something was wrong. I could look at Sister Glancy looking at Sister Niu and I could tell something was up. They just seemed to be uncomfortable and somewhat scared. I was starting to wonder if I had done something wrong. I started to think that maybe they and found out what a bad person I was and that they were going to tell me that I was just not what the Mormon Church needed. I started to become apprehensive. We made some small talk but it was obvious something was wrong and I was the only one who didn't know what it was.

Sister Glancy is all seriousness looked me dead in the eye and told me there was something we needed to talk about and it was serious and important.

2 comments:

Jamie Taylor said...

I don't wanna be a fish. I'm not a fish! Stop hooking me with your stupid endings. ;P lol Awesome story, JD

Anonymous said...

aaaah what happens next???????



oh and I have been thinking about what I said to you about being like the son of Alma-since you weren't born in the Church that doesn't really apply. So you're now resembling more of Korihor figure. Better?

And don't take offense, I know you've changed. But I keep getting this image of a dead missionary in my mind...oh JD...so so sad....haha

--charlotte